That got us thinking: how often are these transport modes cleaned and disinfected?
The influx of people utilising public transport brings along all sorts of bacteria, fungi, dirt, and other pathogens that we don’t see but are at risk of coming into contact with.
That’s why it’s so important to keep the highest standards when it comes to public transport cleaning to ensure the safety and health of the public.
We’ve compiled a list of transport services and transit systems that should be subject to regular deep cleaning by professional hygiene experts, the equipment you will need, and the best cleaning methods for public transport.
Without further ado, let’s jump right into it.
Below, we have listed the equipment you and your team will need to clean all public transport vehicles and get the best results. If you’re passionate about the environment, you can choose from the range of environmentally-friendly cleaning products that are readily available on the market today.
- Upholstery cleaner
- Pressure washer
- Microfiber cloths and mops
- Restroom cleaning tools
- Spray bottles
- Brooms and dustpans
- Latex gloves
- Garbage bags
- Disinfecting solution
- Bathroom and window cleaning solution
- Floor mopping solution
- Carpet cleaners
- Vacuum cleaners
Removing Rubbish and Litter
Collect and remove the apparent trash, such as tissues, juice boxes, food containers, etc. Be careful and look for any sharp or pointy object that could lead to injury. Use the brooms to sweep as well–this will help with the vacuuming.
Carefully wipe the plastic or metal components of the seat with a cleaning and disinfecting solution with a microfiber cloth, and clean the seats with an upholstery cleaner. Don’t forget to get in those storage compartments as well.
Steam and Vacuum Carpets
There will undoubtedly be some resilient stains on the carpets, so to get rid of them, use a powerful steam cleaner with a cleaning solution. It may take more than one pass to see results, but it’s all worth it.
Once the steam cleaning is finished, give the carpet time to dry and vacuum it thoroughly by doing multiple passes.
Windows are a magnet for fingerprints and grease, so be sure to give them a thorough clean both inside and out. Use the microfiber rag, a cleaning bottle filled with cleaning solution, and a squeegee for crystal-clear windows.
Cleaning Luggage Compartments
First, make sure that the luggage compartments have nothing in them. Then, if there is anything, dispose of it–just keep a lookout for anything valuable.
Use the cleaning cloth and disinfecting solution to wipe down the compartments inside and outside the vehicle.
Once complete, leave them to air dry.
Always use gloves while cleaning restrooms—clean mirrors with the squeegee and cleaning solution. Use disinfectant wipes and a brush to clean the sink and tap. A rag and toilet brush will help clean the toilet seat.
Lastly, mop the floor with a floor mop or any other automatic cleaning mop—use an anti-bacterial solution to clean the floor and everything else to ensure top-notch cleanliness.
Metro & Train Cleaning Checklist
Clean public transportation is essential and a fundamental right.
But on top of being a handy way to get from A to B, trains are also an environmentally responsible form of public transit that helps reduce fossil fuel use and carbon dioxide production.
This not only makes your travel more sustainable but also helps to reduce the amount of air pollution too!
This section will discuss how we can clean high-capacity public transportation options, including cleaning tips for trains and metro services.
- Collect trash and put it in garbage bags (look for any objects that could harm you or other personnel, such as broken glass, needles, etc.)
- Steam clean the seats (Disinfect the armrests and surrounding areas)
- Wiping down the compartments
- Cleaning the windows
- Vacuuming and steam cleaning the carpets
- Mop the floor (if there are no carpets)
- Cleaning the restroom
- Restock toiletries
- Clean and get rid of any accumulated mud or dirt (use a pressure washer)
- Use the disinfecting solution and long cleaning brushes to scrub each car
- Pay special attention to wheels and other mechanical components (couplings)
- Water down to remove the cleaning solution and lather
- Wipe it down either with rags or blow dry it for a faster result
- Polish it
Coach & Bus Cleaning Checklist
In this section, we will go through the necessary steps to clean and disinfect every nook and cranny of a bus.
- Collect the trash
- Disinfect holding straps and other surfaces used for holding
- Clean the seats with an upholstery cleaner
- Mop the floor with a disinfecting solution
- Wipe the windows with a microfiber cloth
- Disinfect and wipe controls, e.g., the steering wheel
- Vacuum the floor
- Polish the interior components
- Water it down to get rid of dirt and grime
- Use a cleaning solution and sponges to scrub the exterior
- Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub the tires and axles
- Use a pressure washer to clean the base of the bus
- Take a clean cloth to wipe the water and dry it
- Use a squeegee to clean the windows and mirrors
- Use a good quality wax to polish the exterior
Taxi Cleaning Checklist
This section will list a step-by-step procedure to clean and disinfect taxis and private cars.
- Remove any trash and dispose of it properly
- Vacuum the seats and the floor to get rid of dirt
- Use an upholstery cleaner to clean the seats
- Clean the floor mats
- Clean and wipe the glove compartment
- Vacuum or pressure wash the trunk
- Disinfect all the components
- Wax the interior
- Water it down to remove any dirt or grime
- Use a sponge or a cloth with a cleaning solution to wipe the exterior
- Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub and clean the tires and axles
- Thoroughly clean the engine and the base of the taxi
- Wipe the mirrors and the windows
- Wax the exterior
Aircraft Cleaning Checklist
- Collect the trash and dispose of it
- Clean out the storage compartments, vacuum and disinfect them
- Disinfect passenger controls such as switches, AC controls, crew assistance buttons, etc.
- Use a squeegee or a microfiber cloth to clean windows and shades
- Use an anti-bacterial wipe to disinfect the seatbelts and tray tables
- Clean the seats, armrests, and cushions with an upholstery cleaner
- Clear out the seatback pockets, and use a small brush to get in the corners (Look for any objects that could cause injury)
- Use a microfiber cloth and the cleaning solution to wipe the monitors
- Disinfect the toilet. Use anti-bacterial wipes to clean the tap, sink, hand dryer, and lock.
- Clean the toilet seat and disinfect it.
- Use the disinfecting solution to wipe the floor
- Wipe down the kitchen area and all the food carts with disinfecting wipes, a vacuum, and a microfiber cloth
- Vacuum or steam clean the carpet
Ferry Cleaning Checklist
Last but not least, we have the ferry cleaning checklist. There are several factors to consider before diving into marine public transportation cleaning, such as the material of the hull. So we’ve listed the different steps to help you better understand what goes into cleaning a ferry.
- Use protective gloves and glasses, as specialised aluminium cleaners are acidic
- Use an automatic scrubbing pad and the cleaner to remove oxidising and water-line stains
- Start from the bottom and work your way up and keep rinsing with clean water to remove the cleaning solution
- Use a specialised polish for aluminium to give it a glowing finish
- Cleaning a boat with a fibreglass hull is relatively straightforward
- Water the exterior to remove dirt and grime
- Use a boat cleaning solution and scrub it using a soft-bristled brush or clean cloth
- Change the cloth if it gets too dirty to avoid scratches on the fibreglass
- Rinse the cleaning solution with fresh water
- Use a good quality boat wax to give it a nice finish
- Use a teak cleaner to clean the wooden deck
- Use any polish for a metallic deck
- Oil the wood to give it a protective coating from UV rays and for a glossy finish
- Boats that have vinyl seats and cushions should be cleaned with a vinyl cleaner to avoid damage
- Wipe and disinfect the railings, helm, etc.
- Clean the seats with an upholstery cleaner
- Collect the trash and dispose of it in garbage bags
- Clean and disinfect the toilet
- Clean the windows
We Offer Reliable Regular Public Transport Cleaning
Hopefully, this guide gave you a better insight into how different modes of public transport are cleaned, but it’s clear that it’s not a simple task, so it’s always best left to the professionals.
So if you’re looking for a professional cleaning service with a highly trained team to take care of your vehicles, whether they’re an aircraft, a train, a boat, or from any other public transportation sector—then Perfect Clean is the right company for this job.